Students that wish to attend a college or technical school should follow the following general process.
- Research Colleges
- Find schools that have your intended major.
- Find schools that have clubs, sports and activities that you would like to be involved in.
- Look at the location of the school (is it rural, urban, close to home, etc.) based on your desires.
- Look at how big the school is (do you want to attend a large school, small school, etc.).
- Apply to the schools that you are interested in.
- Fill out an application.
- Usually applications may be filled out online.
- Write an essay (if required)
- Request letters of recommendation.
- Ask teachers, HS counselors, coaches, advisors, pastors and employers.
- You will most likely need for both applications and scholarships.
- Request your transcript.
- Come to the HS Guidance Office and ask to have an official transcript be sent to the colleges that you have applied to.
- Wait for acceptance letters.
- Research financial aid.
- Research scholarship opportunities
The following resources may be used to find more information about going to college and paying for college:
ACT Test Prep
Career Resources (PDE)
College Affordability Guide
College Board Test Prep
College Portrait (Information on Public Colleges)
FAFSA (Federal Student Aid)
It All Adds Up
PA State System of Higher Education
Playing College Athletics
RVM Vocational School Databases
US News Education (College Information)