LETTER WINNERS AND VARSITY CLUB
A long-held tradition at Upper Dauphin Area is earning a varsity letter. Becoming a letter winner in any varsity-level sport or marching band at Upper Dauphin Area gives the student-athlete the right to obtain a varsity jacket. Only students that have earned a varsity letter are allowed to order varsity jackets.
The criteria for earning a varsity letter in each sport is developed by the Head Coach of that sport and approved by the Athletic Director and varsity club officers.
Student Athletes must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Varsity Letter:
- An athlete must finish the season as a member of the team they participate on.
- All school issued uniforms and equipment have been returned.
- Meet the requirements set forth by the team on which they participate on.
Archery Varsity Letter
In order to qualify for a varsity letter as a member of the Co-Ed Upper Dauphin Area Archery Program, the following standards must be met:
- Archers will be required to shoot one full scoring round witnessed by a coach. A scoring round consists of 15 arrows at 10 meters and 15 arrows at 15 meters (combined score), per week, in order to qualify for League Matches and Tournaments. The Upper Dauphin Area High School Archery Team consists of 24 Shooters and 2 Alternates, 4 team shooters must be of opposite gender, respectively.
- Archers must participate in at least 80% of the total combined Team Practices, League Matches and Tournaments.
- An Archer must end the season in good standing.
- Any Archer who has participated in the club for 3 years will letter.
- An Archer who does not meet the above criteria, but based on extenuating circumstances (i.e., injury, medical excuse, approved long leave of absence) is deemed by the coaching staff to deserve a letter, will letter. This will be determined at the Coach Level and at their discretion only.
Cheer Varsity Letter
In order to receive a varsity letter for cheerleading the rules are as follows: during the football season, you cannot miss more than 3 unexcused practices and you cannot miss more than one game or be on the ineligibility list. During competition, you cannot miss any practice or competition or be on the ineligibility list. During winter cheerleading varsity wrestling matches, no unexcused practices or matches can missed or be on the ineligibility list. During winter cheerleading boys varsity basketball, no unexcused practices can be missed and you cannot miss more than two games or be on the ineligibility list.
Football Varsity Letter
- To letter in football, a player must end the season in good standing (must not quit prior to the final game).
- Any senior player will letter regardless of the number of years he has played.
- Any junior player will letter if he is playing his 3rd year of high school football.
- Any player who is considered a starter on any offensive, defensive, or special teams unit for at least half of the regular season games will letter.
- Any player who does not meet any of the other criteria must play at least half of the quarters during the year in order to letter.
- Any player who does not meet the above criteria, but based on extenuating circumstances is deemed by the coaching staff to deserve a letter, will letter.
Boys and Girls Basketball Varsity Letter
In order to receive a varsity letter for basketball, student athletes must
- Be a player on the UDA high school basketball team for at least three seasons and achieve varsity status.
- Play in at least 33% of the total varsity quarters for the season.
- A player who fails to achieve either of the above criteria can also receive a varsity letter at the discretion of the head coach due to extenuating circumstances (i.e. injury, etc.)
The Varsity Club is the student organization responsible for managing the letter winner process as well as other activities. The Varsity Club has By-Laws and Guidelines which were developed by the members of the club and are used to manage club activities.
At the end of the fall, winter and spring sports seasons, the representative from the company that we purchase varsity jackets from will come to the school to complete the ordering process. The ordering process includes fitting jackets (he will bring samples to try on) and ensuring that the student-athlete has the order form filled out correctly. An announcement will be made at least 2 weeks prior to the representative arriving. This will allow time for the student-athlete to obtain and complete the order form. The completed order form must be turned into the athletic office prior to the date of fitting.
Please note that the order form is not provided online. It must be requested in the Athletics Office to ensure that the individual qualifies for a varsity jacket..