District Buildings and Grounds Supervisor
Core Knowledge Areas:
- Electrical & Plumbing
- Preventative Maintenance
- Athletic Field Management
- Custodial Services
Required Education Level:
High School Diploma
The District Building and Grounds Supervisor is accountable for the supervision and execution of various core knowledge areas identified for the position. The person in this position uses supervisory, organizational, communication, technical and conflict management skills to ensure that the assigned core knowledge areas are carried out effectively to meet the goals and objectives set forth annually by the Superintendent and School Board.
- Generally supervises and maintains the school district’s building and grounds.
- Specifically oversees building infrastructure and cleanliness.
- Specifically supervises the care and maintenance of district property, green spaces, and all athletic fields.
- Supervises and coordinates snow removal from district property.
- Supervises activities of the maintenance technicians and custodians.
- Interacts in a professional manner with staff.
- Professionally and effectively handles discipline with staff according to the schedule of progressive discipline.
- Serves as a member of various committees, including:
- District Building and Grounds Committee, and
- District Safety Committee.
- Establishes and maintains a computerized schedule for maintenance for all district vehicles and major pieces of equipment.
- Coordinates mileage reports for all district vehicles.
- Maintains a gross inventory of all building and grounds equipment and supplies.
- Develops specifications and assists the District Administration Team during the bidding process.
- Organizes the requisition process.
- Coordinates with the building principals to evaluate annually, maintenance and custodial staff.
- Assists with interviews of new personnel.
- Sets up in-service for maintenance and custodial staff as necessary.
- Assumes any other related duties as assigned by the District Administration Team.
Required Education Level:
High School Diploma
A valid PA driver’s license
Currently possess license to spray toxic chemicals and maintain through current employment
Position does not require teaching certification.
Essential Job Functions:
- Basic knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, electrical and carpentry functions and standards.
- Ability to work effectively with students and adults.
- Ability to remain calm and handle stressful situations.
- Ability to read, write, listen and perform mathematics.
- Ability to use a computer and computer applications.
- Ability to schedule and resolve schedule conflicts.
- Ability to react appropriately when challenged by others.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to resolve issues and work as part of a team.
- Basic accounting skills.
- Ability to be courteous, cooperative, patient, congenial and service-oriented.
The position holder must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations. It is the responsibility of the employee to inform the Upper Dauphin Area School District Superintendent of any and all reasonable accommodations that will be required. Upper Dauphin Area School District is an equal opportunity employment, educational and service organization.
Preferred Education Level:
Experience working in a school setting and supervising building and grounds activities.
Full-time, 260 Days based on District Schedule
Hours determined by the Superintendent of Schools to meet the coverage needs of the school district.
Position may involve emergency response activities that extend beyond the normal work day.
Position will carry or be in proximity to emergency radio communications during working hours.
Hiring: Salary commensurate with experience.
Ongoing: As decided annually by the School Board.
- Ability to sit at desk for extended periods.
- Repetitive movements of hands and fingers necessary for computer and calculator work.
- Some lifting (75 lbs.) and some carrying (75 lbs.).
- Some bending, stooping, climbing, reaching and turning/twisting.
- Writing and computer entry.
Office setting as well as all buildings and grounds areas.
This position includes inside and outside work on a year-round basis.
Equipment to Operate:
Computer, mobile devices, telephone, scanner, television and audio/visual equipment, sound system and radios.
Must be able to operate all equipment used for building and grounds activities including, but not limited to, tractors, mowers, snow removal devices, and spraying devices.
This position supervises the following positions:
- Maintenance workers